A Note from Lizette
This website is dedicated to my mother, Sara, for teaching me the fundamentals of cooking and inspiring me to create my own path; to my supportive husband, Stephen, for tasting every recipe and pushing me to be better; and to my beautiful daughters, Alessandria and Arianna, for their constant inspiration to dream BIG. This is my legacy to you.
25 Fun Facts About Me
1. I am totally obsessed with cheese, especially goat cheese, and find a way to work it into just about every recipe.
2. I go for a long run almost every morning, mainly to keep my cholesterol in check from all the cheese I eat, but also because it provides inspiration for creating new recipes. But I’m really quite slow and my jogging partners are just friends walking very fast.
3. Avocados fascinate me. I love everything about them from the taste, texture and health benefits. Sometimes I sneak them into recipes in unexpected places.
4. I have several go-to cocktails depending on my locale- margarita, sweet & spicy with salt at the pool; French martini at the bar; and St. Germain vodka martini at home.
5. I have two Pomeranian puppies that I love so dearly. Most of our children’s dolls are missing arms and legs, because they ate them.
6. I also have two beautiful daughters who bring me more joy and laughter than I ever thought possible. And they totally don’t mind that the puppies eat their toys.
7. We spend every free weekend at our beautiful lake house which is conveniently located less than one hour north of Atlanta. It’s all the vacation this girl needs.
8. We collect wine and have outgrown our cellars, so cases are tucked into every closet corner, including the crawl space in our old house (someday the new owners will discover a surprise).
9. My absolute favorite wine ever is Pario by L’Arco. It’s perfection in a bottle, doesn’t need food to complete it, and I don’t need a special occasion to pop one open even though the price keeps going up over the years.
10. I studied for the Certified Specialist of Wine exam for ten months and passed it with a score of 95 in March of 2015; I passed the Certified Specialist of Spirits exam with a 99 in 2017.
11. I met my wonderful husband, Stephen, at a wine tasting, though at the time I knew absolutely nothing about wine other than that grapes were somehow involved. He’s taken me to wineries all over the United States and around the world and changed my life for the better in so many incredible ways.
12. White chocolate is a weakness and sneak a piece almost every night while my girls are brushing their teeth. Sometimes one of them catches me and I have to share, but they both know how to keep a secret.
13. I used to color my hair to look like my children. What do you get when you cross a Spanish/Italian with a Scandinavian? Hazel-eyed children with beautiful golden curls and olive skin.
14. I value organization and planning. I keep a list for everything, including weekly menus, and although it completely throws me off, I do leave a little room for spontaneity.
15. My closet is color coordinated. I discovered Lilly Pulitzer in my late twenties, when I could actually afford it, so there’s a whole lot of color in there to coordinate.
16. I will only eat pizza if it’s Chicago-style deep dish. Ok, that’s not entirely true as I rarely turn down an offer to try something tasty. But I will only purchase or make deep dish pizza.
17. I love shoes and an entire wall of my walk in closet is devoted to Tory Burch.
18. I will travel anywhere for amazing food. My husband gets my birthday cake each year from a bakery in Athens which is about 75 miles from Atlanta.
19. I love a good burger but I’m a terribly harsh critic. The best one I ever tasted was stuffed with braised short ribs, foie gras and truffles. The second best is in St. Thomas, and we’ll go there two or three times when we’re on the island. The third best comes from my kitchen, thankfully.
20. Before having children, I travelled the world over, from Australia, South America, France, Italy, The Netherlands, Spain, Croatia, Greece, Mexico, Canada and more than half the islands in the Caribbean. My husband and I would often travel without making hotel reservations, stopping whenever we’d find a cool city to spend the night and explore.
21. I rarely go out to eat anywhere without a reservation. Go figure.
22. We tend to bring back more than souvenirs when we go on vacation. Our first child came back with us from Las Vegas and our second from Napa Valley. We also have several Plumeria trees growing on our back deck that once inhabited exotic island locations.
23. Spanish was my first language and I didn’t know a word of English when I started preschool. I also know enough French and Italian to get by in those countries.
24. Twenty-four is my lucky number. My husband and I got married on April (the 4th month) 24th of 2004 at 4:00 pm in the afternoon. And actually I kept him waiting at the altar, so it was probably more like 4:24 pm. Some things are just meant to be, and I firmly believe that all things happen for a reason.
25. Starting Gourmet Uncorked was one of my craziest and best decisions. I’m loving every minute of it! Thank you to all my supportive fans for making the journey worth it. Unfortunately taking on a full time job running the Atlanta Wine School at Vino Venue leaves me very little time for recipe creation and writing!